If you’re not using email marketing, then you’re missing out on the best thing since sliced bread (or was it avocado toast?). Okay, maybe not that good, but it’s definitely up there!
Let’s face it – we all know that running a small business is tough. You’re constantly juggling a million different tasks, like managing inventory, creating employee work schedules, dealing with bills and taxes, responding to customer inquiries and so much more. And on top of all that, you’re expected to be a marketing genius and drive sales like an absolute boss. It’s enough to make anyone want to pull their hair out, assuming there’s any left up there at this point.
But never fear! Email marketing is here to save the day. Not convinced? Well, let me give you some reasons why email marketing is the bee’s knees:
1. It’s personal: Email marketing allows you to connect with your customers on a personal level. You can address them by their name and send them tailored content based on their interests and preferences. It’s like having a personal shopper, but for emails. Define who your best customers are and develop email content that will interest them in doing business with you and help others make the decision to give you a try.
2. It’s cost-effective: Marketing can be expensive, especially for small businesses with limited budgets. Email marketing, on the other hand, is one of the most cost-effective ways to reach your customers. All you need is an email service provider and some creativity. Using data provided by some digital marketing experts can see you delivering emails for as little as $.03 per consumer.
3. It’s measurable: With email marketing, you can track the success of your campaigns with metrics like open rates, click-through rates, and conversion rates. This data allows you to optimize your campaigns and get the most bang for your buck. How cool would it be to know exactly where consumers were clicking within your email, so you know what products or services that you are promoting are the most popular?
4. It’s targeted: Email marketing allows you to segment your email list and send targeted messages to specific groups of customers. This ensures that your messages are relevant and engaging, which leads to higher conversions and more sales. When you send to your own database, you know that these consumers want you to stay in touch and send them new information. When you use the opportunity of data, you can reach consumers with a variety of demographics and interests. Want to reach just women near you? You can do that! Or how about households with children? That too! You can target consumers who live near you, look and feel just like your current customers, have interests that are relevant to your business and so much more. The opportunity is immense.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. “Don’t people just delete emails without even reading them?” While it’s true that some people may delete your emails without opening them, there are ways to make your emails stand out. In most cases, consumers need to see your message 8-10 times before they even engage with you. Be consistent with your delivery and you’ll build your own success.
Here are some tips for creating engaging email content:
1. Be funny: People love to laugh, so why not inject some humor into your emails? Share a funny story about your business or include a joke or silly pun in your subject line. Just make sure it’s appropriate and on-brand.
2. Use visuals: People are visual creatures, so use images and videos to make your emails more engaging. Just make sure they’re high-quality and relevant to your content. Whenever you can, be sure to use your own pictures so that you visually connect your products, your team, and/or your location to the viewer.
3. Be authentic: Customers appreciate authenticity, so don’t be afraid to show your personality in your emails. Share your story or talk about your passion for your business. This will help you build a connection with your customers and keep them coming back. Everyone loves a good story.
4. Offer something valuable: People are more likely to engage with your emails if you offer them something of value. This could be a discount, a freebie, or exclusive access to a new product or service. Put yourself in the shoes of a potential customer. What would they find valuable in order to do business with you?
Now, let’s talk about some email marketing faux pas that you should avoid at all costs:
1. Being too salesy: No one likes to be bombarded with sales pitches. Make sure your emails provide value beyond just trying to sell something. If you’re always in sales mode, then they will be very likely to start tuning you out.
2. Sending too many emails: You don’t want to overwhelm your customers with too many emails. Stick to a schedule and only send emails when you have something valuable to share. Most small businesses should only send one to two emails per week to the same consumers.
3. Not personalizing your emails: People want to feel special, so make sure you address them by name and send them content that’s tailored to their interests. Take the time to learn about the people who subscribe to you so that you can know them on a deeper level. And when you use third-party email data, don’t forget to reach out when you see new people join your mailing list. They’re interested in you, so don’t forget about them.
4. Not optimizing for mobile: More than half of all emails are opened on mobile devices, so make sure your emails are optimized for mobile viewing. Otherwise, you could be missing out on a large chunk of your audience. It’s your brand that you’re presenting so be sure to do it right.
5. Using a boring subject line: Your subject line is the first thing your audience sees, so make sure it’s attention-grabbing and relevant to your content. Don’t be afraid to get creative!
So, there you have it, folks. Email marketing may not be as exciting as bungee jumping or skydiving, but it’s certainly worth your time and effort. With the right strategy and a little bit of humor, you can connect with your customers, drive sales, and grow your business. So go forth and start crafting those emails – your customers will thank you (and so will your wallet)!
Ready to build a winning digital strategy for your business? Contact us today, Contact – Broken Egg Digital Marketing, and Let’s Get Crackin’!!